Monday, December 17, 2007

Every Baby Cries the same

computer's back up, hi.

The chinese learning continues apace. By the end of August there's no reason I won't be able to puzzle out street signs, a menu, and possibly a child's book.

Everything, every sound that people make, sounds different here. Uhm ("oo"), ah ("uh"), hi ("eh?"), whoa ("ay"), uh ("dooey"). They all sound totally different. Different tone, different vowels.

Except coughing.

It's really weird to here someone cough. When I hear someone in a coughing fit outside my apartment window, my first thought is still "I thought we were the only white people on this block."


We got a christmas tree

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurray for the Xmas tree!
I have none and, between losing Suzy's present on the train & yours in the mail it's a thin season here...
BUT I'm very proud that you & all my other darlings got their packages on time today & we have a smashing gift for VERN (can't list it in case her reqads your page...

Old Posts